Shadow-4.0.13 package. minlen parameter of cracklib is not working.

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 06:14:22 PST 2006

On 3/29/06, William Zhou <armageddonmagic at 163.com> wrote:

> Hi you guys,
>
> Is the parameter not working as expected? Even with minlen=15, you can
> still have 9 character password.
> Any suggestion?

I've always been a bit confused about Cracklib, but have a look at the
cracklib.so module in PAM's manual.  Maybe that can help clear things
up.  Read the part about minlen, it appears you get credit for more
letters if your password is very different from the previous one, etc.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam-6.html#ss6.3

I'm not the expert here, William.  In fact, until a week ago, I don't
think I understood this process.

Hope that helps.

--
Dan