How to make Thunderbird play Sounds

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 28 09:54:23 PST 2006

John Gnew wrote these words on 03/28/06 11:44 CST:
> I have gone to Edit/Preferences/General/Play an sound, but I can not
> make Thunderbird play a sound. I am running version 1.5 and have
> followed the BLFS for the install. And yes my speakers are on and I can
> play sound from other applications.  :)

I too have had issues with this. I believe it has something to do with
the default 'player' that Thunderbird uses. And I don't know what it
is, I just know that it won't play until I install either KDE or
GNOME, then it works.

I've not bothered to research it. I do know that on the machine I
am typing this message from (a Thunderbird 1.5 build from yesterday),
which uses Lesstif's mwm window manager (it is a rather old and slow
machine), Thunderbird will beep the speaker when I receive new mail.

I've looked thought the Thunderbird config settings to see if there
was some way of defining the 'player' it uses (aplay, etc,), but I
cannot find anything.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this will set us straight,
John. At least I hope someone does.

--
Randy

11:49:00 up 3 days, 26 min, 6 users, load average: 0.28, 0.09, 0.15