Problems with fonts and UIs

Alexander Solano asolanour at comcast.net
Thu Mar 23 22:18:20 PST 2006

Alexander Solano wrote:
> Installing BLFS SVN 20060321 (LFS SVN 20060322), Xorg 6.9.0
>
> This problem has been driving me crazy for a few days already. At 1st
> I thought it was a problem with KDE or QT, since KDE displays fonts as
> squares (Found a couple of references as to how X sometimes looks for
> fonts in the wrong path but that's not the case here)
>
> But as of now I'm not sure that QT/KDE is the problem. I installed
> Fluxbox just for fun and the damn thing is crashing every time. It's
> not even running long enough for me to see if it's finding the fonts
> or not.
>
> Xorg.0.log for both Fluxbox and KDE end with the following lines:
>
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
> removing from list!
> FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2,
> should be 1; fixing.
>
> Goes without mentioning that CID is there. As to what the FreeFontPath
> error means no idea. Lots of entries on google, nothing specific.
>
> I should mention that I do have the latest BLFS Stable running just
> fine. Trying to install BLFS SVN as an exercise to learn how to
> troubleshoot problems with Linux. So far I've been able to
> fix/workaround 3 "show stoppers", but this one is driving me crazy.
>
> I imagine this is not a common problem since I haven't been able to
> find similar while surfing thru the mailing list (Or maybe I'm just
> looking for the wrong thing) Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

It figures, it was just a matter of posting here before I could find a
solution... Well, I say find, but honestly I'm not sure what was the
problem.

What I did was re-compile both Freetype and Fontconfig. Now, I did that
before and that didn't fix it. The only difference is that this time I
copied the whole /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts tree from my stable BLFS to
the BLFS SVN.