Problems with fonts and UIs

Alexander Solano asolanour at comcast.net
Thu Mar 23 21:05:28 PST 2006

Installing BLFS SVN 20060321 (LFS SVN 20060322), Xorg 6.9.0

This problem has been driving me crazy for a few days already. At 1st I
thought it was a problem with KDE or QT, since KDE displays fonts as
squares (Found a couple of references as to how X sometimes looks for
fonts in the wrong path but that's not the case here)

But as of now I'm not sure that QT/KDE is the problem. I installed
Fluxbox just for fun and the damn thing is crashing every time. It's not
even running long enough for me to see if it's finding the fonts or not.

Xorg.0.log for both Fluxbox and KDE end with the following lines:

Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from list!
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should
be 1; fixing.

Goes without mentioning that CID is there. As to what the FreeFontPath
error means no idea. Lots of entries on google, nothing specific.

I should mention that I do have the latest BLFS Stable running just
fine. Trying to install BLFS SVN as an exercise to learn how to
troubleshoot problems with Linux. So far I've been able to
fix/workaround 3 "show stoppers", but this one is driving me crazy.

I imagine this is not a common problem since I haven't been able to find
similar while surfing thru the mailing list (Or maybe I'm just looking
for the wrong thing) Any ideas as to what the problem may be?