Xorg 6.8.2 to Xorg 7?

Simon Scheiwiller simon at hornweb.ch
Thu Mar 23 18:19:38 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson schrieb:

>Actually, it would be safest to start from scratch.

I can totally agree. I had Xorg 6.8.2 installed before and wanted to
upgrade to Xorg 7 last days. I got nothing but problems, now I started
to install from scratch. Trying to update was rather a waste of time.

Even if you delete the /usr/X11R6 hierarchy and start installing Xorg 7
you can compile everything, but in the end it just doesn't run well, or
not at all, I think it's not possible to clean your system totally from
the old Xorg if you don't know every little file on your computer, so
you'll probably end up starting from scratch anyway.

Simon