.la files in /opt/Foo

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 16:56:53 PST 2006

Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes wrote:
> If you are moving these files to /opt/foo, I think you must pass a:
> LDFLAGS=$LDFLAGS -L/opt/foo/lib -L/opt/lib/foo1.../lib....
> for each package you install and this really seens ugly.
I'm already seeing things like this passed straight to LD in my logs,
and it looks like they are included in the .la files where needed - so
it seems libtool is smart enough to do this properly most of the time.
I'm starting to think this may have to do with the order I've been
putting things into /opt - specifically, the things  that  have been
having problems sofar seem to be packages whos reverse dependancies I
installed into /opt before the package itself (I'm not moving things
over in any particular order, since I couldn't be bothered calculating
the best order to use) - so for example, I installed GTK into /opt
with glib still in /usr, and now i've moved glib and things that
depend on GTK are looking for glib in /usr. Which makes sense, and
neatly explains why this is only happening with /some/ .la files.
And looking in libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.la (picked at random from the files
GTK provides), I see it expects the la files provided by glib to be in
/usr/lib . And so the question becomes - what would be the best course
of action here? Is it safe to just adjust the paths in this file, or
would I be better to recompile GTK with glib living in /opt?
Or if I take out the path to it (change, eg, /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.la
to libglib-2.0.la), will this cause it to look for it in
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or in $PWD? (or will it expect an absolute path?).

--
Lennon Victor Cook
"He who receives an idea from me receives without lessening, as he who