Gnome again, but more extreme this time

Tapio Kelloniemi spam18 at thack.org
Sat Mar 18 14:00:41 PST 2006

Hi all

I have tried building GNOME 2.12.[23] on my quite a recent LFS system for
awhile without success. My problems are:
- When starting gnome as root, gnome-panel crashes
- When starting as a normal user, menus from the panel do not open,
  perhaps someone thinks that they are empty
- Actually not gnome-related: xscreensaver 4.2[23] segfaults when ever it
  activates and takes down xorg 6.8.2 with it.

When I built with --enable-debug, the system worked better, but I got lots of
messages about assertion failures, mostly NULL was passed as a parameter,
where it should not be. This time I compiled 2.12.3 with --disable-debug.
I have set all environment variables as they should be (before starting to
compile anything). The only problem during compilation was that convert-test
from glib 2.8.6 failed, because it could not iconv to ISO8859-15. So my
question is, is there something terribly wrong with my system. I built
LFS with GCC 4.0.2, glibc 2.3.5 and HJL binutils 2.16.91.0.3. Now I have
upgraded to GCC 4.1.0, glibc 2.3.6 and HJL binutlis 2.16.91.0.7. I have not
experienced problems with my system except those listed above. I'll be very
glad if someone has something else to say than "start from scratch."

Thanks in advance!

--
Tapio