.la files in /opt/Foo

Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes carlosnov at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 04:18:58 PST 2006

 Hello.

As far as I know, .la files are text files created by libtool. They give
information about a library such as libungif.la is about libungif.so.
They are needed to a new software to check the existence, path, version and
dependencies (flags) of this library.
In the past, I had to change some lines from a .la file to get a new software
to work, but I cant remember right now.

If you are moving these files to /opt/foo, I think you must pass a:
LDFLAGS=$LDFLAGS -L/opt/foo/lib -L/opt/lib/foo1.../lib....
for each package you install and this really seens ugly.

Maybe symlinks will be the best solution for you.