.la files in /opt/Foo

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 03:30:45 PST 2006

I have recently taken to moving many pieces of my system into /opt . I
have come across an annoying little problem with *.la files when I'm
doing this - Specifically, when I install a package which includes
*.la files, no other package that depends on those files can find them
there. Is there an envvar that can be set to tell things to look
elsewhere for these (much like the various FOO_PATH vars)?
At the moment, I've been using the inideal workaround of linking all
of these *.la into /usr/lib , but this strikes me as rather kludgy
when other files that live in the same directories are handled easily
by LD_LIBRARY_PATH .
Unfortunately, "la" is too general an abbreviation for google to have
been any use here: for example, "la files" gets me a whole lot of hits
about Los Angeles, which is unuseful.

Does anyone know where I might look for a solution to this? And, can
someone tell me what the heck *.la files *are*?

--
Lennon Victor Cook
"He who receives an idea from me receives without lessening, as he who