startx automatically with LFS

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 09:54:36 PST 2006

On 3/17/06, Rik Potts <apby14 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> sorry, I did intend on saying in my forst post that I have tried this.
>
> On the command line it boots to it just says it has entered init level 5 instead of 3. No other change.

Rik, could you try to reply to the other post so a new thread isn't
started?  And try to write your mail in text rather than html.  See
the FAQ in the signature for the netiquette stuff.

Anyway, the problem is that BLFS doesn't include a boot script for
kdm.  Sorry.  However, you may be able to kludge up a quick fix if
someone doesn't suggest a proper one.

Download the blfs-bootscripts.  The link is in Chapter 2 of whichever
book you're following.  Unpack the bootscripts and copy init.d/gdm to
~/kdm or wherever.

Change all occurrences of GDM and gdm to KDM and kdm in the file.
This is where the kludge comes in because I don't actually use kdm, so
I don't know if that script is the proper way to run it.  Probably,
though.

Then, you have to install it and make the symlinks so it's started and
stopped at the right runlevels.

install -v -m754 kdm /etc/rc.d/init.d
ln -svf  ../init.d/kdm /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K05kdm
ln -svf  ../init.d/kdm /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K05kdm
ln -svf  ../init.d/kdm /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K05kdm
ln -svf  ../init.d/kdm /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K05kdm
ln -svf  ../init.d/kdm /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/K05kdm
ln -svf  ../init.d/kdm /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S95kdm
ln -svf  ../init.d/kdm /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K05kdm

Now, kdm should start on runlevel 5.  Let me know if that helps.

--
Dan