Booting Lfs-Version udev_update-20060301 from usb drive.

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Mar 17 04:52:57 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 19:56 +0000, randhir phagura wrote:
> I intend booting the new lfs system from the host system. The host system
> has hda (the main hard drive), hdc (the dvd-rom) and the IBM Microdrive
> mounted on SanDisk adapter connected to USB port of the host. This drive is
> configured as usb-storage in the kernel and host system recognises it
> as'sda'. There is only one partition on this drive i.e. sda1. Grub is
> installed on Microdrive but not setup on the MBR because I intend to boot it
> from the host.

The problem isn't with the OS, since it's not getting that far - at that
point, it's all in the hands of the BIOS to do the minimum to find and
boot the OS. And since you said it's a P3 (an older machine), good odds
the problem is simply that the BIOS doesn't know enough about USB to
realise there's a storage device attached, and so GRUB can't see it.
Does the BIOS config screen have anything to say about booting from USB?

Simon.