Booting Lfs-Version udev_update-20060301 from usb drive.

randhir phagura rsphagura at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 16 11:56:09 PST 2006

Hi,

I have installed the above lfs on an "IBM 1 GB Microdrive". The host system
is lfs-611 installed on Compaq Presario Laptop (P-III).
The install has been fine and the new lfs is working fine in chroot environ
in the host system.

I intend booting the new lfs system from the host system. The host system
has hda (the main hard drive), hdc (the dvd-rom) and the IBM Microdrive
mounted on SanDisk adapter connected to USB port of the host. This drive is
configured as usb-storage in the kernel and host system recognises it
as'sda'. There is only one partition on this drive i.e. sda1. Grub is
installed on Microdrive but not setup on the MBR because I intend to boot it
from the host.

In the host-system '/boot/grub/menu.lst', the Microdrive entry is as under:

title IBM Microdrive Linux

    root (sd0,0)
    kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.15.4  root=/dev/sda1

It is not recognised by host system grub at boot-time. The error is "Error
in parsing number". I also tried to use 'root (hd1,0)' but the error given
was "The given drive does not exist"

In the WinXP on the same host system, the Microdrive is recognised as
'Disk1'.

Is there a way to boot the new lfs from my host system grub?

Help would be most welcome.

Thanks

RSP