Xorg7

Ag Hatzim zkom.xl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 00:27:44 PST 2006

Steven(omaze at comcast.net)@Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 08:26:20PM +0500:
> I'm working with Xorg 7 and not having much luck.
>
> I issue the ./configure then the make and all I'm getting back is:
>
> make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>
> For each and every package in the proto directory.  This obviously isn't
> right but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what specifically isn't right.

Its right.

Normally you would have to do manualy the following steps:
1)unpack every single package
2)cd to the extracted sources
3)run configure/make/make install
4)cd ..
5)remove the sources.

Instead of all these steps,you can do it,with just a loop
(as described in Xorg Download and Installation Instructions section),that means
if you cd to the proto download directory,you can just copy and paste the loop code.

But this make me wonder.
Whats the purpose of doing L(B)FS then if that not leads to personal knowledge?

That means if you first study the generic loop code you could improve
it (you can use variables or make a list of the packages you want to
install,automatically download the sources etc...) and you can finally
have a script to use it and for the next xorg release just by
changing the versions in the script or add any possible fixes.

Btw 6.9.0 shares the same code with 7.0.