dhcp not creating /etc/resolv.conf?

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Mar 10 01:09:12 PST 2006

John Gay wrote:

>> As I said, I've had this problem before but I don't remember what the
>> solution was.
>>
> Well, I dug deeper and found that although /sbin/dhclient-script is installed,
> it doesn't appear to create /etc/resolv.conf. I even tried running from the
> command-line, but no /etc/resolv.conf. For the time being, until I can figure
> out why, I've created /etc/resolv.conf from
> the /var/state/dhcp/dhclient.leases info.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if my CLFS build is slightly broken, as this is the
> second or third script that failed to work properly?
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  	John Gay

Hi John,

I have built LFS many times and I too use the DHCP client. I don't
actually recall /etc/resolv.conf being created for me by anything. I
just keep a copy of the file in my home dir and copy it across when
building a new system...

I only have one line in my resolv.conf which is

"nameserver 10.0.0.2"

10.0.0.2 is the IP address (on my LAN side) of my DSL router. That gets
its DNS address information from the network when the DSL link first
comes up.

I might be wrong but this is what I remember of the process...

Cheers

Alan