dhcp not creating /etc/resolv.conf?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Thu Mar 9 18:32:54 PST 2006

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 02:26, John Gay wrote:
> I had this problem before and I can't remember how to fix it.
>
> I've built a new CLFS box and now I'm adding to it. My first step was
> dhcp-3.0.2 Client, which needed a minor addition to build. However, when it
> runs, it doesn't create /etc/resolv.conf
>
> I built and installed dhcp-3.0.2, ran make install-service-dhclient in
> blfs-bootscripts-6.1, created:
> install -v -d /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 &&
> cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0/dhclient << "EOF"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> SERVICE="dhclient"
> DHCP_START="-q"
> DHCP_STOP="-q -r"
>
> # Set PRINTIP="yes" to have the script print
> # the DHCP assigned IP address
> PRINTIP="yes"
>
> # Set PRINTALL="yes" to print the DHCP assigned values for
> # IP, SM, DG, and 1st NS. This requires PRINTIP="yes".
> PRINTALL="yes"
> EOF
>
> and:
> cat > /etc/dhclient.conf << "EOF"
> # dhclient.conf
>
> interface "eth0"{
> prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
> request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
>         domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
> require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
> }
> # end dhclient.conf
> EOF
>
> but when the system starts, it doesn't create /etc/resolv.conf and I get no
> name services.
>
> As I said, I've had this problem before but I don't remember what the
> solution was.

Well, I dug deeper and found that although /sbin/dhclient-script is installed,
it doesn't appear to create /etc/resolv.conf. I even tried running from the
command-line, but no /etc/resolv.conf. For the time being, until I can figure
out why, I've created /etc/resolv.conf from
the /var/state/dhcp/dhclient.leases info.

I'm beginning to wonder if my CLFS build is slightly broken, as this is the
second or third script that failed to work properly?

 Cheers,

 	John Gay