fetchmail boot script

frank kanters frank.kanters at zonnet.nl
Wed Mar 8 02:17:34 PST 2006

Recently I have installed BLFS 6.1 and my fetchmail boot script copied from
my BLFS 5.1 installation does not work anymore.

Bootlog returns the following message: "\n\n/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S96fetchmail
failed and exited with a return value of 5.

Mar  8 08:54:14 cosmos bootlog:  FAILURE:\n\nYou should not be reading this
error message.\n\n  It means that an unforseen error took  place in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S96fetchmail, which exited with a return value of  5."

An exit value of 5 means: There was a syntax error in the arguments to
fetchmail.

However, when I execute "/etc/rc.d/init.d/fetchmail start" it starts without
any problem. Also "/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S96fetchmail start" works without
problems.

There is something else I noticed. When fetchmail is not running and I do
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/fetchmail status" it says that fetchmail is running, but
when I do "/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S96fetchmail status" it correctly returns that
fetchmail is not running. And /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S96fetchmail is just a
symbolic link to "/etc/rc.d/init.d/fetchmail"

Someone any idea what is happing here.

The "/etc/rc.d/init.d/fetchmail" contents is:

#!/bin/sh

# Begin $rc_base/init.d/fetchmail

. /etc/sysconfig/rc

. $rc_functions

case "$1" in

        start)

                echo "Starting fetchmail daemon..."

                /usr/bin/fetchmail -d 600

               evaluate_retval

                ;;

        stop)

                echo "Stopping fetchmail daemon..."

                /usr/bin/fetchmail -q

                evaluate_retval

                ;;

        restart)

                $0 stop

                sleep 1

                $0 start

                ;;

        status)

                statusproc /usr/bin/fetchmail

                ;;

        *)

                echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"

                exit 1

                ;;

esac

# End $rc_base/init.d/fetchmail