UDEV Rules Didn't Behave Like I Thought

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Tue Mar 7 17:39:35 PST 2006

Ken Moffat wrote:
> I'm currently using (lines broken up for mailing)
> echo 'BUS=="ide", KERNEL=="hdc", GROUP="audio", NAME="%k",
> SYMLINK="cdrom dvd", MODE="0660", OPTIONS="last_rule"'
Except for "last_rule" that's what I had.
> This is an addition to a running system, so udev was already running ?
> If that's the case, /dev/hdc has already been created with the default
> root:disk ownership.
This is interesting.  I think I found out the hard way.  I kept running
udevstart and finally got the group I wanted, but then when I tried to
open xterm I discovered that I had run out of pty's.  Had to reboot anyway.
> I have belatedly taken to turning desktops off ;-)
This is probably what I should have done.  Boy I get lazy. :-)

Dan