Udev not creating /dev/rtc

Cliff McDiarmid cliffhanger at gardener.com
Sat Mar 4 16:24:17 PST 2006

Hi

Two problems.   Despite building rtc support into a 2.6.11 kernel I can not get udev to create the character device in /dev.   Having built LFS 6.1 I have the 25-lfs.rules script under /etc/udev/rules.d where rtc is listed.

This problem is leading to the other, and that's Mplayers need of rtc, although I understand it runs without it.   It's complaining about rtc not existing and the permissions being wrong.   If I create rtc under /dev manually with mknod(it's lost when I reboot of course), Mplayer still fails to find it.   I've added 'echo "dev.rtc.max-user-freq=1024" >> /etc/sysctl.conf' as suggested in BLFS, but this is giving the error: 'error: "dev.rtc.max-user-freq" is an unknown key', but then it would, wouldn't it?

Anyway my main concern is the first problem, any ideas?

thanks

MAC