Howto for non-standard paths???

Matthias B. msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Sat Mar 4 03:56:18 PST 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:06:09 -0600 (CST) Alex <blfs at alex.gotdns.org> wrote:

> On the other hand, I'm considering installing each package to a separate
>
> directory and upon each installation/removal, re-populating a fake set
> of  standard "/usr" directories with symbolic links to the real files...

GNU Stow and several other tools do that. I suggest you go to Freshmeat
and enter "stow" as search query. You'll get GNU stow and several other
tools using the same idea.

A more elegant way to do this might be unionfs. I think (I haven't tried
it) that unionfs can mount several directory trees over /usr and the
resulting /usr will contain the union of all the directory trees. I
believe it would even be possible to mount an empty directory (tree) over
/usr and to tell unionfs that all writes to /usr should go there instead.
That way you wouldn't even need to convince a package to install to a
different prefix. You could just have it install to /usr and unionfs will
redirect the writes to another directory which will then hold all the
files installed by the package. I believe some live CDs use this to make
the CD "writable". But I've tested none of this. If you try it I'll be
very interested in your results.

MSB

--
If God hadn't wanted me to be paranoid,
He wouldn't have given me such a vivid imagination.