Digital Camera with a pure UDEV (no Hotplug) setup.

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 09:39:11 PST 2006

On 3/3/06, Richard A Downing <richard at langside.org.uk> wrote:

> I don't think that GPhoto2 uses anything in /sys or in /dev.  If appears
> to find devices via /proc/bus/usb.  So for GPhoto2 you need usbfs
> mounted.  There may be others.
>
> Certainly I could not get GPhoto2 to work even by creating device nodes,
> which is why I asked for help.

Maybe using a camera with an external driver from libgphoto2 isn't the
best way for me to learn about hotplugging.  Anyway, I think I agree
with you.  Even with hotplug, I don't think anything happened other
than the standard usb device with no driver was created.

I just had a thought, Richard.  libgphoto2 uses libusb to communicate
with the usb bus.  It doesn't seem that libgphoto2 actually does the
device work in the grepping I did for standard /proc, /sys, etc.  I
think libghoto2_port is the library that links to libusb.

So, do you have the patched libusb that knows about /dev/bus/usb?  I
don't really understand how all this works, so that might be way off
base.  Anyway, if you want the patch, Juerg Billeter has it at
paldo.org.  Here's the link:

http://www.paldo.org/index.php?section=packages&page=main&releaseid=26656

I'd be interested to hear if mounting /proc/bus/usb is the only
workaround for this issue.  This is one of the few hotplugged devices
I have, so it's the hurdle I have to get past before I do the
udev/kernel update.

--
Dan