Howto for non-standard paths???

Rainer Peter Feller Rainer-Peter.Feller at physik.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Mar 2 02:38:56 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 21:06 -0600, Alex wrote:
<snip>
> Does anyone here have any experiences with either of these methods?     In
> doing the first manually, I had some difficulty getting binutils, glibc,
> and gcc to work together when each were in separate directories...
>
> Thanks
>
> -Alex

I have done this, or at least something similar ...
installed all to the "normal" place, tar'ed it in, removed it, extracted
it to it's special place and symlinked it to it's "normal" place.
This is NOT a productive solution, because some packages tend to resolve
the "physical" pathname to include extensions, so the extensiones will
not install to the "normal" place, but to the "physical" place. This has
created some bad hickups ... (for me)

CUH Rainer Peter Feller