xfree86 4.4.0 error

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 23:09:55 PST 2006

On 3/1/06, kshama shepal <kshama_shepal at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  and then following error
>
>         FATAL: Module i830 not found
>         [drm] failed to load kernel module "i830"
>         [dri] DRIScreeninit failed.
>        Could not init font path element
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF, removing from list
>        Could not init font path element
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing from list
<snip>
> drm enabled )according to the book.

First, there are newer versions of BLFS available.  6.1 is the current
stable.  The package versions in 6.0 are a bit outdated.  If that's OK
for you, then ignore this part.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/

Second, dri/m can be a bit tricky to set up.  It looks like you're
telling xf86 to use the i830 drm module.  I don't know which one that
is, but it is not a module for you.  Either you didn't build the
module, or it's built into the kernel.  If it's built into the kernel,
then you don't want to specify it in the Module section because you'll
see the kind of errors shown above.

Last, make sure you have the fonts installed correctly.  This has
broken many people's X installations before.  Make sure that the fonts
are where you specified them to be in host.def.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/6.0/x/xfree86-setup.html

--
Dan