Howto for non-standard paths???

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 20:31:05 PST 2006

On 3/1/06, Alex <blfs at alex.gotdns.org> wrote:

> Does anyone here have any experiences with either of these methods?     In
> doing the first manually, I had some difficulty getting binutils, glibc,
> and gcc to work together when each were in separate directories...

Disclaimer: I'm not a huge fan of what you're trying to do.
Especially with the toolchain.  There are lot's of simple package
managers that will be much easier to learn than to make the hundreds
of symlinks you're going to make.  Here's a simple one that an LFSer
made: http://paco.sf.net.

Anyway, most packages will build and run wherever you want by just
using --prefix.  However, the toolchain is different.  For these guys,
it would be better to install them in the root directory to save some
hassle.  However, one way you could get around this is to build them
as if they'll be in the root directory and then make symlinks to the
real directories.

For glibc, configure with --prefix=/usr and all the other standard
stuff.  But when you install, use `make
install_root=/where/glibc/will/live install'.  Then be sure to make
links to any of the binaries and important configuration files.  For
gcc and binutils, the same thing except the variable is DESTDIR
instead of install_root.

I don't guarantee this will work.

--
Dan