Sound in KDE

Satish Chebrolu chebrolu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 10:56:08 PST 2006

I have been trying to get sound working in KDE for some time without
any success. I am using ALSA drivers for my AC97 sound card. Sound is
working fine in console mode. Speaker-test produces sound from both
speakers. But, after I log in to KDE, only some applications are able
to play sound (like Noatun, Kaboodle). XMMS reports that (hw:0,0) is
busy. Real player also reports the same. When I open Sound and
Multimedia section of Control center, there is no ALSA option present
in it. Is there someting else I have to install to get sound working
in KDE. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
-Satish