Errors Building FontConfig 2.2.2

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Fri Oct 29 11:18:29 PDT 2004

Michael Kipper wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>This is not strictly an LFS question, as I am using LFS & BLFS commands to
>build some packages on my University shell, in my own home directory.
>The problem I'm getting is:
>
>[mkipper at flash ~/build/fontconfig-2.2.2]$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr
>checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
>checking whether build environment is sane... yes
><snip>
>checking for FT_Get_First_Char... yes
>checking expat.h usability... no
>checking expat.h presence... no
>checking for expat.h... no
>checking xmlparse.h usability... no
>checking xmlparse.h presence... no
>checking for xmlparse.h... no
>configure: error: cannot find expat library
>
>BUT!
>
>[mkipper at flash ~/build/fontconfig-2.2.2]$ find $HOME -name expat.h
>/home/mkipper/usr/include/expat.h
>
>AND
>
>[mkipper at flash ~/build/fontconfig-2.2.2]$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>/home/mkipper/usr/lib:
>
>AND
>
>[mkipper at flash ~/usr/lib]$ ls libexpat.*
>libexpat.a  libexpat.la  libexpat.so  libexpat.so.0  libexpat.so.0.5.0
>

>I just built expat 1.95.8, the newest version, so why am I getting this
>error?
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

Because your headers are not in the proper locations to be found.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH only affects library searching.  You're going to have to
pass -I/home/mkipper/usr/include into the build so it can properly
locate your expat libraries.  But, I wonder why you chose to install
expat into your user account, instead of system-wide.

-J-