gcc/ld problem --> error levels

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Oct 29 07:53:38 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 02:49:55PM +0200, Miguel Bazdresch enlightened us thusly
> That error message is very confusing. It isn't telling you that ldd
> doesn't exist, but that loading ldd involves a library that doesn't
> exist. A static strace can help here. It comes up all the time in IRC;
> actually, it's in the FAQ, although it refers to a 'file not found' that
> occurs during chroot if ch.5 was wrong.

There is an unwritten rule here - a collolary to Murphy's Law:

The errors occurring in any system will be beyond the ability of those
present to solve them.

As I get better with linux, the errors have to get smarter too :-).

What irks me is that this is a second fundemental error in basic parts
of a system compiled here.

On lfs-3.3, the glibc make install-locales (or whatever the correct line is)
barfed badly here. But I had

make locales-install &&
<something other command>

and the next command just continued. It rolled up the screen but who
speed reads that stuff? Not an Athlon owner, that's for sure :). I was
left in a mess and eventually looked fairly stupid when it all came out
at the end of a very long thread.

On this LFS-5.0 the install, some compile of gcc must have barfed
similarly, leaving the old ld, and the test to check if my gcc was A1
evidently failed. Maybe I was slow to remove the /tools directory.

A nice way around that might be a shell setting to halt a command if any
process doesn't exit with a 0. Can this be done?
--

	With Best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.