gcc/ld problem

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Fri Oct 29 05:49:55 PDT 2004

* Declan Moriarty <declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie> [2004-10-29 12:37]:
> > I don't understand why the extra /lfs, but anyway, your problem is
> > likely to be that ld is linked against libraries that don't exist/cannot
> > be found in your system.
>
> I did try to explain why the extra /lfs

Yes; I didn't understand it though. I think it was that you were looking
at one LFS install, mounted under /lfs, from another LFS. No big deal
anyway.

> You were dead right. The error messages came as if the file didn't
> exist, but of course it did. There was an extra /tools in that
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld

That error message is very confusing. It isn't telling you that ldd
doesn't exist, but that loading ldd involves a library that doesn't
exist. A static strace can help here. It comes up all the time in IRC;
actually, it's in the FAQ, although it refers to a 'file not found' that
occurs during chroot if ch.5 was wrong.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/