KDE i18n font problem

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Oct 28 22:34:21 PDT 2004

Durk van Veen wrote:

> I've been playing a bit with KDE3's kde-i18n package on my BLFS system.
> Installing a language that requires a script that is not part of the
> normal latin fonts seems to just give a lot of square blocks. Where do I
> go to install the requisite font packages to properly support this, and is
> there supposed to be some kind of dependency between the various
> sub-directories of kde-i18n and the fonts that they depend on?

Personally, I download and install only kde-i18n-ru and fonts. So the only
problem you have is the problem of missing fonts.

Try installing, as a base minimum, Microsoft Core Fonts for the web + Tahoma
(http://user.dtcc.edu/~berlin/font/downloads/tahoma32.exe) and also
FreeFont (instructions are in the book). Be sure to REMOVE the TrueType
fonts that come with X (i.e. various Lucida and Bitstream Vera fonts)
because they are often mis-picked by applications.

For Chinese, see:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~liquidx/chinese/chinesefonts.php

--
Alexander E. Patrakov