gcc-3.4.x make -k check errors

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Oct 26 13:13:31 PDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Lup wrote:

> I've been trying for past few weeks now to get gcc-3.4.2 to compile on my
> (B)LFS system.  I've built up a new LFS system from scratch, installed the
> dependencies for gcc-3.4.2 but still can't get it to "make -k check".  Has
> anyone been successful with this?
>
> I'm using a stock install of "Linux From Scratch Version 5.1.1" with
> DejaGnu-1.4.4, Expect-5.42.1 and Tcl-8.4.7 from the BLFS book.  During the
> make -k check I'm seeing stuff like:
>
>       === libstdc++ Summary ===
>
> # of unexpected failures        1415

 Any time you get such a high number of errors, it's telling you
something is wrong, usually in *how* you are doing it.  I'm taking a
guess that you want gcc-3.4 as a second version of gcc, so you aren't
trying to install -testing or -unstable into /tools.

 My first guess would be that you don't have a matching binutils.  Try
building binutils-2.15.9x first (on x86, go with what is in -unstable)
and install it into e.g. /opt/newtools or /usr/local or wherever you
want the alternative toolchain.  Then put that at the front of your PATH
and try again.  Alternatively, --with-{as,ld}=/full/path/to/bin/{as,ld}.

 An alternative is that maybe expect can't manage the 'spawn ls' test.

 After that, try logging the output and adding a -v to the configure
(dunno if -v is helpful, I've just seen it in the gcc test archives).
Maybe there are more meaningful error messages, so "make -k check >mylog
2>&1" to look at the gory detail.

Ken