LFS 6.0 + X.org 6.8.1 + Qt 3.3.3 = Segfault

Magnus Larsson magnus.larsson.k at bredband.net
Tue Oct 26 10:58:41 PDT 2004

Laurens Blankers wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> My base system is LFS 6.0-testing-20040913, I build both X.org and Qt
> according to the instructions in BLFS svn-200409* (except for the
> version of X.org).
>
> When I try to start a Qt program is immediatly segfaults:
>
> </opt/qt3/bin> ./designer
> Segmentation fault
> </opt/qt3/bin>
>
> Strangly enough I have no problem with building kdelibs and kdebase
> although once build all kde programs segfault just like the qt ones do.
>
> The problem appears to be similar to:
>
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-hackers/2004-April/000940.html
>
> I haven't tried recompiling glibc or binutils because my base system is
> very similar (except for a lot of textual typo and style fixes) to LFS
> 6.0-final.
>
> I don't know if this matters, but I am not running X.org as a screen
> server local, but am using TightVNC and Hummingbird Exceed 9.0 for
> Windows.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Sincerly,
>
> Laurens

Hello Laurens,

I have had a similar problem using LFS unstable, Xfree-86-4.4.0, and
Qt-3.3.2 with X and QT building and installing without errors, but
returning an immediate segfault if qt-apps were started from X.

The root cause was wrong, or rather the lack of, Fontconfig configuration
information in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and /etc/fonts/local.conf

Please consider the Fontconfig installation:
http://mirror.vtx.ch/lfs/blfs/view/stable/general/fontconfig.html

in particular:
"...
The configuration file for Fontconfig is /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. Generally
you do not want to edit this file. To put a new font directory in the
configuration, update the /etc/fonts/local.conf file with your local
information. The default location of fonts in Fontconfig is:

/usr/share/fonts

~/.fonts

Because we have not built XFree86 yet, put the following directory entries
into /etc/fonts/local.conf, inside the fontconfig tags:

sed -i -e '/^<\/fontconfig>/i\
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF</dir>\
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1</dir>\
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype</dir>' /etc/fonts/local.conf
..."

Adding the /etc/fonts/local.conf file solved my segfault problems.

Best regards,

Magnus Larsson