Strange Hangs on my LFS System

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Oct 26 02:58:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 16:53 +0000, Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes wrote:
>     Hello everybody.
>
>     I got a problem with my box. I think its a hardware related problem,
> but i want to take a opinion or two.
>
>     Its a AMD Atlhon XP+ 1800, with VIA chipset, 512MB of RAM, RIVA TNT2
> video board with Nvidia driver and a LFS 5.0. Sometime ago i got
> problems with an old memory (commands like cp trash the destination) but
> its another history.
>
>     This time, when i turn it on i get many kind of problems, like
> hangs, X wont start and keeps trying for some time, seg faults on
> ldconfig, kernel panic and today I got this message.
>
> <snipped>

Hardware failure of some kind, certainly - I had similar problems
earlier in the year that I thought to be disk related. Basically, two of
the three boot options (WinME and one LFS) started becoming unstable to
the point of no longer booting, or if they did, spontaneously rebooting
on or shortly after login. The third (another LFS) remained usable
though unable to read the other partitions, suggesting the disk was the
major problem.

Possibly the same in your case?

Simon.