Strange Hangs on my LFS System

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Tue Oct 26 01:54:46 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 04:53:45PM +0000, Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes enlightened us thusly
>    Hello everybody.
>
>    I got a problem with my box. I think its a hardware related problem,
> but i want to take a opinion or two.
>
>    Its a AMD Atlhon XP+ 1800, with VIA chipset, 512MB of RAM, RIVA TNT2
> video board with Nvidia driver and a LFS 5.0. Sometime ago i got
> problems with an old memory (commands like cp trash the destination) but
> its another history.
>
>    This time, when i turn it on i get many kind of problems, like
> hangs, X wont start and keeps trying for some time, seg faults on
> ldconfig, kernel panic and today I got this message.

[SNIP] That's a stupid crash typical of windoze, but unusual in linux.

>    After some time I can reset the machine and it goes up without any
> problems, Reiser FS autocheck the filesystem and i can use it as nothing
> was happening.
>
>    Windows ME give me errors too, many times a blue screen
>
>    Does anyone have a tip of where shoud i look?

People have mentioned cooling, and memory faults. Check them.

Apart from that, back off the memory timing a little, and try booting
with "acpi=off noapic" as boot parameters.

I've a via chipset & XP here also. Fine box. But the apic (Interrupt
Controller) implementation is broken on the via chipsets. In my case
everything (all 4 parts of the sound, ide0, ide1, lp0, com1 & com2) get
either irq 10 or irq 11. Things that can _acutally_use_ irq 10 or 11
(usb, nic) get some half assed irq. You end up that the box thinks
something is one place, but the card ether can't go there or thinks it's
somewhere else. So you get spurious interrupts because everything jumps
when one irq is touched, and dead items because the irq is unreal, and
the drivers won't use it. acpi (newer power management) is also hairy,
but it doesn't matter as much.

The possible interaction on boot could be because windoze sets up the
irqs a little differently.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.