Strange Hangs on my LFS System

Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes carlos_tocha at ig.com.br
Mon Oct 25 09:53:45 PDT 2004

    Hello everybody.

    I got a problem with my box. I think its a hardware related problem,
but i want to take a opinion or two.

    Its a AMD Atlhon XP+ 1800, with VIA chipset, 512MB of RAM, RIVA TNT2
video board with Nvidia driver and a LFS 5.0. Sometime ago i got
problems with an old memory (commands like cp trash the destination) but
its another history.

    This time, when i turn it on i get many kind of problems, like
hangs, X wont start and keeps trying for some time, seg faults on
ldconfig, kernel panic and today I got this message.

    INIT: version 2.85
    Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000002
     printing eip
    cfb095c0
    *pde = 00000000
    Oops: 0002
    CPU: 0
    EIP: 0010:[<cfb095c0>] Not tainted
    Eflags: 00010283
    .... and some CPU registers values...

    After some time I can reset the machine and it goes up without any
problems, Reiser FS autocheck the filesystem and i can use it as nothing
was happening.

    Windows ME give me errors too, many times a blue screen

    Does anyone have a tip of where shoud i look?

    Goodbye.

--

Carlos <<Tocha>> Novaes
UIN: 49193903