Missing /dev/fb/0

Aaron BRICE aaron.brice at st.com
Mon Oct 25 10:45:43 PDT 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
>  mknod (perhaps in a bootscript) ?  If you insist on using devfs with
> 2.6, it _will_ hurt you eventually.  But, why do you use a module for
> the framebuffer ?
>
>  When 2.6 framebuffers first started to work, there were a lot of
> complaints from people building more than one of them that they didn't
> work properly, and the advice was to build only one of them.  Dunno if
> that has changed, but if it hasn't, it might catch you later.
>
> Ken

mknod creates the device, but then when I try to run X I get an error
about unknown device or something like that.  The general google opinion
seems to be to stay away from i810 and other Intel integrated graphics
devices.  I was using the frame buffer because I'm trying to create a
bootable CD that will work on the Dell SX260 (i810) which doesn't
support vesa, and SX280 (GMA 900, i915).  It looks like the i810 driver
with Xorg 6.8.1 suports both though, so I'm trying that now..