blinking text under console with framebuffer

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Mon Oct 25 05:19:08 PDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 06:54:20PM +0200, lynx.abraxas at freenet.de enlightened us thusly
> Hallo
>
> I have build an lfs for my laptop now and activated the vesafb driver form
> frame buffer support. It all works fine but I noticed that with the frame
> buffer running the escape sequence like
> echo -e '\x1b[5mHallo World!\033[0m'
> doesn't lead to blinking text but to a gray background. On the net I found
> some hints on that saying there would be some addresses overlapping. Like for
> blinking ESC[5m would overlap with the escape sequence for gray background.
> The same for underlining and blue background.
> If I don't start my lfs with frame buffer support both escape sequences work
> as they should. Sadly I couln't find out how to get true blinking text with
> frame buffer. I tried different fbdrivers and also got some hint that it
> would depend on either ncourses, termcap/info and/or the fb-driver itself.
> Does anybody know something about this? What instance of the system is
> evaluating the escape sequences? Is it termcap? Under my SuSE dist blinking
> does not work under the console as well but in xterm it does.
> I read man console_codes but didn't understand it fully if it gives an answer
> to my problem. I also don't get the role termcap plays. Is it emultating a
> different type of terminal in fb mode?
> Is there a console dirver that allows 256 or more colours to be used for
> displaying glyphs?

I have framebuffer support here and that escape sequence does provide
blinking text in a bash console. (LFS-3.3. I'll have to move on, but why
fix it if it works?)

I think you may find  that laptops have some fairly flaky video chipsets
whose designers didn't understand 'man console codes' either. They have
other priorities (Suspend/resume, external monitors & screens).

If you are serious about this, go to www.linux-laptop.net and look for
your laptop. Perhaps join the linux-laptop list (last heard of under
majordomo at vger.kernel.org) and hunt there. or google the archives. If
you have a Chips & Tech chipset I'd give up quickly. Brands like Acer
can be very flaky under linux.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.