blinking text under console with framebuffer

lynx.abraxas at freenet.de lynx.abraxas at freenet.de
Sun Oct 24 09:54:20 PDT 2004

Hallo

I have build an lfs for my laptop now and activated the vesafb driver form
frame buffer support. It all works fine but I noticed that with the frame
buffer running the escape sequence like
echo -e '\x1b[5mHallo World!\033[0m'
doesn't lead to blinking text but to a gray background. On the net I found
some hints on that saying there would be some addresses overlapping. Like for
blinking ESC[5m would overlap with the escape sequence for gray background.
The same for underlining and blue background.
If I don't start my lfs with frame buffer support both escape sequences work
as they should. Sadly I couln't find out how to get true blinking text with
frame buffer. I tried different fbdrivers and also got some hint that it
would depend on either ncourses, termcap/info and/or the fb-driver itself.
Does anybody know something about this? What instance of the system is
evaluating the escape sequences? Is it termcap? Under my SuSE dist blinking
does not work under the console as well but in xterm it does.
I read man console_codes but didn't understand it fully if it gives an answer
to my problem. I also don't get the role termcap plays. Is it emultating a
different type of terminal in fb mode?
Is there a console dirver that allows 256 or more colours to be used for
displaying glyphs?

Thanks