SOLVED: x.org + GTK + Nvidia driver weird interaction?

Chris Macksey c_macksey at spamSPAMspamitySPAMhotmail.com
Sat Oct 23 10:23:54 PDT 2004

Andrew Benton wrote:
> Chris Macksey wrote:
>
>> here are the options I used, straight from host.def:
>> -O2 -march=pentium4 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-strength-reduce
>> -fno-merge-constants
>>
>> I wouldn't think these would cause an over-optimization problem,
>> unless (maybe) the -march=pentium4?  Has that been known to cause a
>> problem with x.org?
>

> I don't know about xorg, but it caused me problems with XFree86-4.4.0.
> At the end of the build I couldn't boot into Gnome. XFree86 works fine
> (with the current Nvidia driver) if I don't optimise it.

And there was much rejoicing...

Sure enough, 6111 driver plus no -march fixed the problem.  Everything's
working fine now, even 3D.

Thanks everyone for your help!