x.org + GTK + Nvidia driver weird interaction?

Chris Macksey c_macksey at spamSPAMspamitySPAMhotmail.com
Fri Oct 22 23:08:00 PDT 2004

GCZ wrote:

> I do. Although some things probably need to be fixed in the driver, I
> have had several issues with certain versions of GTK+. All I can tell,
> is that version 2.4.10 of GTK+ is the only one since several releases
> that seems to work without problems. That's also the case on my laptop,
> which has an i830M graphical chipset and thus doesn't use nvidia's driver.
>
> Try uninstalling GTK+; check that no GTK+ file remains on your system
> after 'make uninstall' (I noticed that libgtk-x11-2.0.so* still remained
> in /usr/lib sometimes), then build and install version 2.4.10. It might
> solve your issues.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Done and done, still getting the X segfaults
(I'm getting a little bit *too* intimately familiar with the "Magic
SysRq Keys").

On the bright side, I do have to say that 2.4.10 does look much better
than the other versions I was using when I use the nv driver.  I was
getting weird graphical anomalies (like the triangles on the treeviews
looking all mutated and deformed) in all the other versions, but not 2.4.10.

So, at least I'm one tiny step ahead of where I was.

OK, since you actually have it working I have many questions  :D

* What version of the NVidia driver are you using, the latest or an
older version?  I've tried both 5336 and 6111, but it would be nice to
use one that at least has a chance of working?
* Are you using AGPGART or NvAGP?
* What driver options are you passing to the driver in your xorg.conf?
* Which version of x.org are you using, standard 6.8.1, or something newer?
* Have you applied any custom patches to x.org?

This thing's going to drive me over the deep end yet, I can tell ;)