x.org + GTK + Nvidia driver weird interaction?

Chris Macksey c_macksey at spamSPAMspamitySPAMhotmail.com
Fri Oct 22 22:55:53 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Chris - my first suggestion would be to disable the Render and Composite
> extentions from your xorg.conf - those extentions are HIGHLY unstable,
> and WILL give problems.  Also, make sure you have not over-optimized
> your xorg compile - the problem you describe sounds suspiciously like
> one I experienced a while back, and recompiling xorg at -O2 instead of
> -O3 solved it immediately for me.
>
> -J-

Turning off Render and Composite was one of the first things I tried -
but no go, X still segfaults.

As for the second, here are the options I used, straight from host.def:
-O2 -march=pentium4 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-strength-reduce
-fno-merge-constants

I wouldn't think these would cause an over-optimization problem, unless
(maybe) the -march=pentium4?  Has that been known to cause a problem
with x.org?

I find it truly bizarre that I get none of these problems in anything
except GTK+. :)