Cannot get ALSA to work; soundcard not found?

Kevin Alm kevinalm at fbx.com
Fri Oct 22 19:15:27 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Lauria" <lauriafour74 at mchsi.com>
To: <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 4:45 PM
Subject: Cannot get ALSA to work; soundcard not found?

> I have an Audigy 2 sound card (emu10k1 driver). Both the driver and ALSA
> are compiled within my 2.6.9 kernel, NOT as modules.
>
> At boot, when alsactl tries to restore my sound, I get "Error: no
> soundcards found..."
>
> Alsamixer and amixer both fail because of "no such file or directory"
> errors which I assume are because of the driver not working.
>
> I have compiled ALSA libs and utils versions 1.0.5 (to match the ALSA in
> the kernel). I have recompiled/installed them several times, so I'm not
> quite sure what the problem is.
>
> I created a modprobe.conf file in /etc, as the ALSA directions say, and
> here are the contents;

------
> # ALSA portion
>        alias char-major-116 snd
>        alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> # module options should go here
>        # OSS/Free portion
>        alias char-major-14 soundcore
>        alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>
> # card #1
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

------

A couple of things. Alsa generally doesn't like compiled in. Try modules.
Also, it is usually necessary to run alsaconf (cli tool that is part of the
alsa-utils) as root. This should edit modprobe.conf for you, as well as some
alsa configuration files (in /lib/alsa or something like that iirc). Other
than that I don't know as I have never used an emu10k1.

Regards,
Kevin