Cannot get ALSA to work; soundcard not found?

Paul Lauria lauriafour74 at mchsi.com
Fri Oct 22 14:45:14 PDT 2004

I have an Audigy 2 sound card (emu10k1 driver). Both the driver and ALSA
are compiled within my 2.6.9 kernel, NOT as modules.

At boot, when alsactl tries to restore my sound, I get "Error: no
soundcards found..."

Alsamixer and amixer both fail because of "no such file or directory"
errors which I assume are because of the driver not working.

I have compiled ALSA libs and utils versions 1.0.5 (to match the ALSA in
the kernel). I have recompiled/installed them several times, so I'm not
quite sure what the problem is.

I created a modprobe.conf file in /etc, as the ALSA directions say, and
here are the contents;

# ALSA portion
       alias char-major-116 snd
       alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1