Short questions on DHCP

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Fri Oct 22 13:58:21 PDT 2004

"D.Moriarty" <declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie> wrote in message
news:417935C5.8050307 at ntlworld.ie...

> Gentlemen, The problem is mine: I am sending packets I think(checked with
> tcpdump)  receiving packets, dropping them all and listening to none.
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:70:22:C5:73
>           UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:166 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>           Interrupt:16 Base address:0x2000

Okay, again, only stabs in the dark here...if using a module, yank it out of
modules.conf for bootup, then put it back after boot.  Set 'dmesg -n 7', and
then 'modprobe eth0' and send the output here (if you've not gotten it to
work).  Also, maybe you can force the card to 10Mb half, or if it's at half
(unlikely), then full in the modules options.  Other options, force it with
a static setup...non routable like 192.168.0.20 and see if you can hit
something else on the same switch or through a crossover cable attached to
another PC configured with an address in the same range.  Lets take out all
the NTL variables and be certain that it is a driver issue and not some
incompatability between your modem and the NIC.

>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

This looks as if absolutely nothing is happening.

> tcpdump: pcap_loop: recvfrom: Network is down
> 4 packets captured

-- DJ Lucas