Short questions on DHCP

D.Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Oct 22 01:30:30 PDT 2004

DJ Lucas wrote:

> <Snip>
>
> What is your DHCP server?  Does it work for other clients on the same
> network?  I'm guessing yes, while using the windows box.
Server? Windoze reports 194.168.4.100 as dns (ntlworld.ie) and
62.254.96.21 as DHCP server, with 62.254.229.254 as the gateway
62.254.96.21 resolves to ntli.net. And the box is dual boot, and boots
in the other os and gets on fine on the same nic. So it's my box at fault.

> Early on
> (around lfs 3 IIRC) I had difficulties with dhclient and a particular
> firmware rev on either the linksys  or the netgear router.  I can't
> remember which it was, but dhcpcd worked fine for me whcih is probably
> why I still lean towards dhcpcd even today.  This has _long_ since been
> fixed with a firmware upgrade, but it'd be interesting to see if this
> could possibly be your issue.

At this stage I have dhclient as dhcp-3.0.1 and dhcpcd as 1.3.22-p14,
and have tried them both. No network and no router here. Family policy.

> Other than than I've no idea what is happening.  Anyway, the old dhcpcd
> hint had a working bootscript for the timeframe (specifically lfs-3.3),
> but I'd get it working from the command line first.

I am trying. This is the first outing in linux for the via-rhine nic,
but I'm not too worried. What does worry me is that there are no routes
at all. Route -n returns bare headers. Look at the net statistics (after
a few hours of farting with it)

root:~#netstat -i eth0
Kernel Interface table
Iface   MTU Met   RX-OK RX-ERR RX-DRP RX-OVR   TX-OK TX-ERR TX-DRP
TX-OVR Flg
eth0   1500   0       0      0   8605      0       0      0      0
0 BMRU

The RX-DRP is me trying to get online. Likewise ifconfig has the wrong
numbers
root:~#ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:70:22:C5:73
           UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
           Interrupt:16 Base address:0x2000

Why is it dropping everything? I won't get very far that way.

> http://lfs.osuosl.org/hints/downloads/files/OLD/dhcpcd.txt

It's a good hint. There's plenty of good hints out there, and I have
read a lot of them at this stage, and it seems to happen automagically
for most of them, except when the ISP uses something obtuse. NTL are
just crap, not obtuse.

--

         With Best Regards,

         Declan Moriarty