java clobbering of %ebx

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 21 22:09:57 PDT 2004

Gregory Davis wrote:
> Okay.  WTF?  I had lots of problems compiling stuff with gcc-3.4.0, and
> thought upgrading to 3.4.2 would solve this, but it didn't.  When compiling
> java, I get the error below.  I think it's just another instance of new gcc
> being more strict on standard adherence, but how is this resolved?  Note,
> this is just 3 lines after the inline_asm patch, but not the exact same
> affected line.  Has anyone succeeded in compiling java with a gcc 3.4?  I
> just want to hear someone say they have,

Unfortunately, I don't think your going to get the answer you're looking
for.  To date, I've not seen anyone even attemp a gcc-3.4 patch for
j2sdk.  Hopefully 5.0 SCSL (or whatever happens with Sun's open source
initiative) won't be too far away.  In the interim, use gcc-3.3 or use
the binary...both methods work just fine.

-- DJ Lucas