Did anybody figure out why one has to recompile freetype and fontconfig before KDE will work?

oneyed at gmx.de oneyed at gmx.de
Wed Oct 20 23:59:06 PDT 2004

> >Subject says it all I guess.
> >
> >I too was unable to get KDE to start (version 3.3.0 in my case, with
> >qt-3.3.3). I tried to recompile freetype and fontconfig as suggested and
> >that made it work alright. Does anybody have a clue why that might be?
> >
> >As far as a guess goes: I compiled freetype and fontconfig before I
> >compile Xorg. I wonder if that has got anything to do with it.
> >
> >I'd be interested to find out what might have been the cause of it.
> >

> My #1 suspicion was something being wrong with fontconfig, which the
> recompile fixed, possibly the font paths in /etc/fonts/local.conf.

Yes, that's it. I had the same problem again and before i recompiled fontconfig I made a backup of all files that belong to fontconfig. After recompiling fontconfig KDE ran without problems and I compared the new files with the old ones.

There were only two files that differed: libfontconfig.a and /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. In the old fonts.conf there were no fontpaths defined (because we installed it *before* we have any fonts). I copied the old fonts.conf to /etc/fonts - and BAMM! KDE was crashing again.

In the book there should be something to update the fontpaths after installation of X.

ONEYED