Default ownership of ~/.ssh?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 18 07:25:55 PDT 2004

How do you all handle your .ssh directories for users? Since we have
sshd running as user "sshd" and group "sshd", it would make sense to
have ~/.ssh group-owned by sshd and group-sticky turned on. This allows
the directory to not be world-readable, and doesn't require the sshd
user to be in the users' "primary group".

I have this working here, but it's a bit of a pain to set up because
when /etc/skel is copied over to a new user the permissions and
ownership are lost...