NTL and their probs --> DHCP

D.Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Mon Oct 18 03:20:06 PDT 2004

DJ Lucas wrote:

> Declan Moriarty wrote:
>

>> At least you _have_ services, it's just your own server you have issues
>> with.
>>
>> My situation has changed in the last 24 hours. I am on NTL with phone
>> and dialup, which is fed via cable, and run from a box in the attic.
>> Apparently NTL has declared these boxes a safety hazard, and
>> instructed all
>> it's customers to unplug them and find another service provider.
>>
>> That lands me without email, phones, or phone numbers.
>>

> Woah! sorry, completely missed that line!  Did they provide any
> assistance at all in finding different providers?
>
> Reply in chat please if possible.

Well finally it is possible.

My phones have gone, and transferring the number was not a possibility
due to routing issues. Fortunately the bulk of
my business has the mobile, and this  will  remain unchanged.

My dialup is Internet Connection is gone. I had a contractor out  on
Saturday who installed a cable modem and failed to
set it up under windoze. He went at setting up the network from IE :-(.I
managed, however. I can now pick up my mail
and hopefully send it also. Wish me luck on that!
I have no Internet access inder linux currently, which is a huige pain.
It wants names, numbers, etc. It also needed a different
kernel, but that didn't hold me for long.

NTL's Services are on an Analogue & digital line around the area for
cable TV.  Their letter recalled a box from my attic
which generated 2 phone lines from the Analogue line. Their letter
simply recalled the box, and suggested finding a differtent
service provider. Only one other company provides phone lines :-/. The
words 'fire risk' were heard together, but everyone
knew they  were losing money on it anyhow. Bugger this, I thought, I'll
decide if it is a fire risk. I opened the box  despite the
security screws and found that it _was_ a fire risk for 2 reasons.

    1. They had an aluminium box over 95% of it, including a Switch Mode
Power supply. These fail, and there would be no
cooling, available, but there would be an area for the flames to exit.

    2. They had a lead-acid backup battery (capable of ~25A in a short
ciurcuit) feeding into 3 amp pvc coated wire outside the box.

I am unsure whether I am now on ntl.ie, or ntlworld.ie. I have no IP or
anything to try and fix a few options on. Using "Route print"
from a dos box gives me 224.0.0.0 and 80.6.229.214 which  appear to be
dns servers. I also see 80.6.229.254 (Ripe in Holland
again). Where is asssniffer when you need it? (Part of a trojan - sub
seven, I think, which sniffs IPs.)

I have the kernel rebuilt, with everything everyone says, I have
dhclient installed. The BLFS setup is just marvellous - NOT!

*cat > /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0 << "EOF"*
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_START="/[place appropriate start parameters here]/"
DHCP_STOP="-r /[add additional stop parameters here]/"
SERVICE=dhclient
*EOF*

Where does that get me?

*cat > /etc/dhclient.conf << "EOF"*
# dhclient.conf

interface "eth0"{
prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
}
# end dhclient.conf
*EOF*

I get syntax errors from this. All the thing is doing is looking on
255.255.255.255 and apparently there's nothing there.

In other words, life goes on as usual.

    With Best Regards,

    Declan Moriarty