pan configuration

Ivan McDonagh ivan999 at iprimus.delete34thiscom.au
Sun Oct 17 08:54:39 PDT 2004

Hi people,

I'm trying to configure the newsreader to use an external image viewer and
I can't figure it out at all!

The doc's say that pan uses the Gnome mime settings for this - I
understand that Gnome uses the shared-mime-info database so I have
installed this - hopefully that gives a reasonable number of definitions :)

After that I created $HOME/.mailcap as:
image/*; gqview

and restarted pan ... still only getting the inbuilt image viewer.

So I tried /etc/mailcap and restarted and got the same result.

The pan doc's also say that other config files are in the .gnome/Pan
directory so I created this and copied the mailcap file to there and still
had no luck.

Does anyone have any idea (other than installing Gnome!) what I can do ?

Thanks,

Ivan.