SMTP being blocked by certain providers

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Mon Oct 11 01:39:28 PDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 10:25:41PM -0500, DJ Lucas enlightened us thusly
> Hey guys and gals, I've been getting a few bounce messges lately from
> AOL and Outblaze servers.  Specifically these nice tidbits:
> Oct 10 21:45:39 pinski postfix/smtp[14392]: 151F91BA88:
> to=<budsangels at cs.com>, relay=mailin-03.mx.aol.com[64.12.137.152],
> delay=108264, status=deferred (host mailin-03.mx.aol.com[64.12.137.152]
> refused to talk to me: 554- (RTR:BB)
> http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrbb.html 554- AOL does not
> accept e-mail transactions from dynamic or residential 554- IP
> addresses. 554  Connecting IP: 68.91.215.40)
>
> Oct  9 15:41:20 pinski postfix/smtp[6894]: 151F91BA88:
> to=<jd_lucas at email.com>, relay=email-com.mr.outblaze.com[205.158.62.25],
> delay=5, status=bounced (host email-com.mr.outblaze.com[205.158.62.25]
> said: 554 EMail from mailserver at 68.91.215.40 is refused. See
> http://spamblock.outblaze.com/68.91.215.40 (in reply to RCPT TO command))

> Rather than constantly keeping up with the logs for the next few weeks,
> (well I could setup a job and script it I suppose) I was wondering if
> there is by chance is a list of providers blocking smtp from dynamic
> hosts, or better an automatic way to handle error 554?  If no for both,
> then I'd like to start up a list someplace.  My 'sever' is currently on
> swbell's network, so here is a quick excerpt from /etc/postfix/transports:
>
> aol.com smtp:mail.swbell.net
> .aol.com smtp:mail.swbell.net
> email.com smtp:mail.swbell.net
> .email.com smtp:mail.swbell.net
> mail.com smtp:mail.swbell.net
> .mail.com smtp:mail.swbell.net
> outblaze.com smtp:mail.swbell.net
> .outblaze.com smtp:mail.swbell.net
>
> I'm slowly becoming a very curious controll freak, ;-) so pushing
> everything off to swbell is very undesireable.  Any suggestions or
> comments beyond that are much appreciated.

Short answer: RELAY it through your isp, or pay for a fixed IP.

I believe the effort is to block what are seen as major sources of spam,
i.e. broadband connections, which have one IP today, and another
tomorrow. MY isp is falling over itself trying to get me on broadband,
but that's dynamic IP and they offer 55MB of web space, and don't want
me running servers trying to talk out. That comes with a BUSINESS
package, which of course is pricier. Even the telesales guys know that
much.

> AOL does notaccept e-mail transactions from dynamic or residential
> 554- IP addresses.

I imagine this will soon be default behaviour of most big ISPs.
In the example from outblaze, your ip is not blocked, so you should
forward it to bounce at outblaze.com and ask.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.