Cups isnt working :(

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Sat Oct 9 12:43:05 PDT 2004

* Steven C. <exvor at yahoo.com> [2004-10-09 19:33]:
> --- Miguel Bazdresch <lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org>
> wrote:
> > * Steven C. <exvor at yahoo.com> [2004-10-09 17:37]:
> > > Cups just sucks all around.  Its not free anymore
> > > there is a small database of printer drivers.
> >
> > What are you talking about?
> >
> > http://cups.org/faq.php?3
> >
> > Cups doesn't suck at all.
> >
> this is what im talking about
> cups comes with very limited free drivers for printers
> so you have to ither go find one or pay for one.
>
> "ESP Print Pro
> The CUPS distribution only provides sample drivers for
> Dymo, Epson, HP, and Okidata printers. If you need
> drivers for other printers, or want commercial-
> quality printer drivers, please visit our ESP Print
> Pro page for information on our commercial printing
> solutions. ESP Print Pro supports thousands of

* cups is gpl, so it's wrong to say "cups is non-free".
* I don't believe the driver database is small. I can see almost every
  printer in existence is supported through foomatic. You can also
  interface it with gimp-print.
* "sample" drivers doesn't mean "bad" drivers. I've been using
  cups+hpijs+gs happily for over two years.

Cups is just the print server. In the end you need good vendor support
(like hpijs for HP printers, which is OS) or a good community developed
driver. That doesn't mean "cups sucks all around".

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/